Recipe: Buckwheat crepes with Jamun compote
What’s your earliest memory of eating jamuns? Mine have been plucking them off the trees. Another one is eating them on train journeys. I remember buying jamuns at the station that came in bowls made out of leaves and were tossed with a little salt. We didn’t cook with them much back then, but now I love to try different recipes using jamuns. Buckwheat crepe with jamun compote is the ultimate summer breakfast for me. According to Ayurveda, both jamun as well as buckwheat (kuttu ka aata) are good for diabetes patients.
I love going back to the books and study Ayurvedic Properties of all the food. And while making this recipe I started reading about Jamun. This is what my books tell me.
जम्बू: कषायमधुरा श्रमपित्तदाह कंठात्र्ति (Jamun is Astringent and sweet in taste. Relieves tiredness, reduces Pitta/ burning sensation & relieves throat pain)
शोषशमनी क्रिमिदोषहन्त्री | (Helps in case of Weakness and worm infestations)
श्वास अतिसार कफ खास विनाषिनी (Cures diahorrea, cough & cold)
विष्टम्भिनी भवति रोचन पांचवीं च || (Causes constipation (helps in dysentry/diahorrea), improves taste and helps in digestion.)
जाम्बवं वातजननानाम् || (Jamun increases Vata. Excess consumption may cause gas/bloating)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking powder
- Water to thin down
- Ghee to cook
- 250 gms Jamun, deseeded
- 1 tbsp raw sugar/mishri
- Water to thin down
- ½ litre milk
- 1 lemon
- Combine the buckwheat flour, salt, sugar, milk, baking powder and water to make a thin batter.
- Let it sit covered for 10-15 mins on the counter.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Spoon out ladleful of batter and spread it out by swirling the pan.
- Cook on low flame for 5 mins on one side before turning to other side and cooking for another 3-
- mins. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Cook Jamun pulp/flesh with sugar and water on slow flame for 5-10 mins stirring often till
- you get jam consistency.
- Bring the milk to rolling boil.
- Reduce flame to lowest and squeeze the lemon juice in it. Stir verygently using wooden spoon. Switch off the flame. Let it sit for a min or until the curds and whey has separated.
- Drain out the whey and rinse in cold water.
- Blend it in a processor to get spreadable consistency ricotta.
- Fill the crepe with ricotta, fold it into half and top it with compote. You can alternatively serve ricotta and compote on the side.