Earlier this year I travelled to Mangalore to explore the food there. I spent three days there eating ghee roast, Mangalore buns and goli bajje at various places but one dish that I found quick and easy to make at home was this charmuri. It’s the mangalorean version of bhel that we get in Mumbai and what makes it stand out is the boiled egg and coconut oil. This has become my go to snack, an easy 4pm snack that can be made in a jiffy.
- One cup murmura (puffed rice)
- Half a carrot, grated
- Half a beetroot, grated
- Small onion, finely chopped
- Small tomato, finely chopped
- Quarter of a raw mango, finely chopped
- Handful masala peanuts
- 1 boiled egg, roughly chopped
- Half a lime
- A pinch of chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Mix together puffed rice, carrot, beetroot, onion, tomato, raw mango, peanuts and boiled egg.
- Season with salt and chilli powder. Squeeze in the lime juice and toss it all in coconut oil.
- Serve immediately.