Jamun Sabza Pudding
As much as I love cooking, I’m always looking for quick recipes that are big on health quotient but also delicious. Y’all know how popular are chia seeds pudding and how easy is it to really make. I wanted to try it with sabza seeds (basil seeds).
Why sabza and not chia, you ask? Well sabza is very cooling for our body while chia is heaty in nature. I know they look exactly same and sometimes it can be confusing how the two identical ingredients react so differently in our body. Nature is mystical like that. Sabza being more indigenous is an ideal thing to consume for Indian bodies especially in this season.
If you never want to end up with too thin or too thick pudding. Remember this ratio : 3 tbsp sabza to 1 cup milk (you could use dairy or non dairy milk)
I’m choosing coconut milk to pair with the Jamuns here. If the Jamuns are too sour, absolutely avoid pairing it with dairy as it could be Viruddahara (Incompatible foods)
You could pair this pudding with any of the seasonal fruits like Mango or berries or figs etc.
For Jamun has so much more water content, I have cooked it down to make a jam-ish thing with it. More like a compote but Jam sounds nicer so we’ll call it Jamun Jam.
A pinch or two of clove-fennel-star anise powder will bring so much depth to the jamun flavor you’d love it.
Go on try out the recipe and send me pictures when you do.
- For Jamun Jam
- 200 gms washed Jamuns
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 clove
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- For Sabza Pudding
- 3 tbsp Sabza seeds (Basil seeds)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Deseed the Jamuns.
- Pound the fennel, clove & star anise in a mortar pestle to crush well.
- Cook the Jamun pulp with raw sugar and the crushed spices on slow flame for 10-12 minutes or until it has thickened well.
- Let it cool down completely
- blend it in a mixer grinder and store in an airtight jar for upto 10-12 days refrigerated
- Combine the sabza seeds & coconut milk using a whisk.
- Cover & refrigerate for 5-6 hours.
- To serve, swirl spoonful of Jamun Jam in the pudding & serve chilled.